lilypie

Lilypie

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Today was an irritating day. The flight is still not booked (despite 3 days of trying), the "To Do, To Buy, To Pack" list is still growing, despite the fact that I remove numerous items daily, and for the second day in a row, I rearranged meetings and left work early to accomodate a contractor who has still not been able to get the job done. It took an hour on the elliptical and two hours in a hot bath before I had emotionally scraped myself off the ceiling. Now, I don't normally sweat the small stuff, and this was small stuff. So I refocussed and conjured up the good vibes, and guess what popped into my head? This:

This is Emily, Desta and "blankie", 3 wonderful homemade baby gifts that I've received over the last few months. Emily and Desta were made by my mom and named by my dad (Desta means "peace" in Amharic) and blankie was made by my friend Joanne in Calgary. You can't see it unless you look closely, but the entire blanket is comprised of little hearts. She says it took 10 months, much cursing and an inability to watch tv (due to a high number of dropped stitches), but it's perfect. They all are. And then for good measure I conjured up this. I mean if two furballs like this can't cheer a girl up, what can?


8 comments:

Wendy said...

Here's my first attempt ever at publishing a comment! I was going to ask you about your flight....why hasn't it been booked?

I am loving all the photos of the prep work you've done. You have no idea how excited we all are over here. In fact, you'll be lucky if your nieces and nephew let you take Makeda home from our house!

Now take a deep breath...inhale...exhale...ahhhhh. This is nothing that a bottle of wine can't fix.

Gina said...

What sweet handmade gifts for Makeda! She'll love them! And all those donations are so generous - they'll be welcomed. It'll all come together, just "dakeadeepbret" as Samara says.

hazel said...

Those homemade gifts are beautiful. I love that your Dad named the doll and teddy. And I can imagine that blanket taking that long to make.

Yes, fill us in on your flight drama. Are you using a travel agent? What's the deal?

Barbara said...

ok i just posted a lengthy comment explaining the whole flight saga and dint publish it properly and now i've lost the whole thing and i'm sulking and i'm not doing it again. then i rounded out my comment by tormenting my sister on how she can't post a comment by email like a normal person and instead creates an empty blog and how that's even more inept then when i couldn't figure out how to post a comment except anonymously. and then i said how i was going to go and get a drink and that's where i'm going. the end

QB said...

Your daughter is so beautiful! It sounds like you have a wonderful family. I look forward to following along.

Barbara said...

oooh, hi katy. i follow your blog a lot. Welcome.

Anonymous said...

Well, naturally my very first attempt at commenting on a blog results in a verrrry sarcastic response from my sister. So, I'm trying again. This time I have hit "Name / URL". Lets see if that works.

Also, lets home you improve your sulky attitude before you bring my niece home! Cheerio!

Anonymous said...

It WORKED!!!! Now I can go have a drink and daydream about how I'm going to mess up your home and switch everything around in your drawers while you're in Ethiopia.