lilypie

Lilypie

Monday, April 28, 2008

Bloody Hell That Was A Lot of Work

ONE WEEK LATER - the trip is finally booked. So here's the quick summary: We leave on Saturday May 10th and arrive in Addis the morning of May 12th. We stay in Addis on the 12th and 13th. On one of those two days - I will meet my daughter!! It will be a brief visit, as we drop off our 2 hockey bags full of goodies for the orphanage. We'll spend these 3 days getting our bearings in Addis and doing some shopping. On the morning of the 15th, we take off on our Northern tour. Many thanks to Porter for basically planning the trip for us. For the next five days we will vist Bahir Dar, Gondar and Lalibella, returning to Addis on the 19th. On May 20th, I will spend the day at the orphanage getting acquainted with Makeda, but she will remain there overnight. On the 21st, I'll spend the day there again, but this time, I will take her away with me (she says with both fear and exhilaration). The 22nd will be a big day, as I have asked to meet Makeda's birthmom. If she agrees, she will either travel to the orphanage to meet me, or else I will travel to Nazret and meet her there. I won't know whether she's agreed to meet me until we arrive in Addis. On the 23rd, we will spend the day in Addis, and then we fly out at midnight, arriving back in Vancouver at noon on Saturday May 24th.

I need a glass of wine just thinking about this. Pass me my wine!

4 comments:

Tasha Kent said...

I discovered the glorious wonders of using hockey bags for traveling back in college. You can literally stuff a kitchen sink in those things.

If only airlines didn't have weight restrictions, we'd be set for life.

Tanya said...

That is an action packed trip! Sounds fabulous! I look forward to hearing all about it!!

hazel said...

My God, that's coming up in less than 2 weeks!! It sounds like a perfect itinerary. I love that you'll have a few days to travel before taking custody of Makeda.

Anonymous said...

I teared up when I read that you have asked to meet Makeda's birth Mom. What an amazing gift you will be giving her, to let her know how wanted and loved Makeda will be, every day of her life. Now she won't have to wonder.

You tell her "Aunty Wendy will always have treats for her"

Wow.