lilypie

Lilypie

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Countdown to Baby

Well thank-you all, for all of your encouragement. I have big news to report, which actually occurred on Friday, but I got hit with the flu and have been flat on my back for the last 48 hours. Anyway, my agency called to announce that - I CAN GO!! Makeda's facilitation visa has arrived, and I can leave anytime now to get her. This is apparently a new record, as it took only two weeks to get the visa instead of the usual six. It's hard to be over the moon when you're slumped over the toilet, so I gave a rather subdued "hurrah" and crawled back into bed, where I've been until a few hours ago. So, basically nobody knows yet that this has happened, except all of you.

Tentatively, the plan is to leave on May 10th and come back on May 30th, but that's subject to finalizing flights, so I will keep you all posted. Haze, get ready to partay, I'll be over your way one last time before I go...

Now, here's my question of the day. I want to bring Makeda back something memorable from the orphanage, and I'm not a creative person. I'll bring back a toy or a blankie - something she's used - but I want something more personalized. All I can think of is a blank card that her caregivers can sign, plus some pics of all of them, but there must be something better than that!! Any creative ideas that can be implemented by someone not capable of greater things than:

would be greatly appreciated.

8 comments:

hazel said...

God, that was super fast - CONGRATULATIONS!!

We'll have to make your next visit extra special. Maybe with more of the gang to join us.

One idea I read on someone's blog (and I can't remember whose it was), was to take a group picture of the care givers holding Makeda at the front of the foster house and then have that picture incorporated into something - say a quilt (it could be the centre square), or a regular blanket. I think you can get the picture transferred onto fabric.

Or, if you get the signatures on a big enough piece of paper(i.e. poster board which you could transport in a tube - your parents could carry it for you on the day) you could frame them along with the picture. Or, get the caregivers to sign a regular card, take pictures of each signature, blow them up, and add them to the framed picture.

None of that may make sense to you, but I've just given myself a few good ideas.

I'm sure others will have great suggestions - especially those who've been and come back already.

I hope your flu is only the 48-hour garden variety.

Anonymous said...

HOLY COW!!! COngratulations!!

That is so super-cool.

I took photos of the nannies holding Elsa, and tried to take video of them wishing her well, but that didn't work out too well (they were shy).

Something they could sign is a great idea.

Get better soon!!

Barbara said...

Excellent ideas. thx. Also, Haze, I've in touch with Marelise over facebook and she's up for a visit next time I'm in town. Would be nice to see Gina again too.

Dianne said...

Hi Barbara... I came here via Haze's blog... and... CONGRATULATIONS!!! Two weeks??? I just may have to rethink this whole Cit vs PRV thing.

Happy planning! HURRAY!

Barbara said...

Welcome Dianne! That's how I spell my middle name. Here's wishing you a super speedy referral.

Tasha Kent said...

Congrats!!!

1. Scoop some of the dirt/sand or whatever from outside the babyhouse and put it in a pretty jar. It's like bringing home a part of the earth where she started her life.

2. If there are flowers, pick them and dry them... you can decopauge (sp?) them on a plain ornament and every Christmas it'll be a special ornament from her first home.

3. Even if you are not religious, find a Bible from there or steal (I DID NOT JUST SAY THAT)it from the hotel. Even in English or better if in Ahremic (sp?). She can use it for her rites of passages through the years. Something from home during those important times (confirmation, funerals, weddings, etc.)

4. grab a bunch of pebbles or shells from outside the orphanage and through the years she can make earrings, rings, etc. with them.

5. take a picture of each caregiver and put them in lockets for a necklace or charm bracelet. She can wear it through the years close to her heart (necklace) or look at it (charm bracelet) during times when she needs to feel connected to ETH.

6. are there any flowers or plants outside of the orphanage? See if you can get some of the seeds or roots and plant them in a garden at home.

That's all I've got.

Barbara said...

Tasha all your ideas are great, but of course i gravitate immediately towards the words steal, as that seems the most fun. And probably the safest as I think I get life in prison for trying to move plant-life intercountry. Of course, that whole decoupage concept, that is just a sick joke, right? stickman artist tash, stickman.

Anonymous said...

Why not get a great 'memory' book (or guest book, or even a scrapbook type photo album) and have each person write a personal message on their very own page. You can then take a picture of each person and attach it to the page once you get home, so there is a picture associated with the note.

Di