lilypie

Lilypie

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

An Update, Such As It Is

I guess this counts as an update, although I'm not sure how useful the information is. I spoke with Nina Sihota of BC Adoption Services late this afternoon to follow up on a few questions I had regarding the role of the BC government in resolving this fiasco. First and foremost was to find out what they are doing to ensure that all of us "pre-referrals" get our adoptions completed. The answer was no different than anyone else has received to date, namely, it's a possibility, but no decision has been made yet. One will be made (fairly) soon. I got the impression that a decision would be made in the next few weeks, but not necessarily by the creditor's meeting on the 30th.

Of interest - Nina is meeting with her provincial counterparts this Friday to discuss this and other issues relating to Imagine Adoption. The topic of pre-referrals will be covered then, although she says it's not anticipated that a final decision will be forthcoming from that meeting.

Following my questions about the ongoing viability of Imagine Adoption, I asked whether, if the adoptions cannot proceed, those of us who lost money will be indemnified. I suppose we can all, to some extent, claim priority based upon funds in trust, but that only covers about one-third of my fees paid. In addition, I have no comfort that the money was actually properly segregated into a trust account, so I'm not hopeful that even that amount will be returned. I was told by Nina that this too, is a topic being covered at this Friday's meeting. And I have to say - I fully expect that we will be made whole. The public pressure on the Ontario government has been significant and they have clearly played some role by virtue of their regulatory obligations to supervise this agency. So I think we'll get our money back, and then they can do what they have to do to recover those funds from Sue, Andrew and/or the Board of Directors. Small comfort, ultimately, but it's something.

After the meeting on Friday is finished, BC Adoption Services will summarize whatever progress, decisions, etc. were made, and send the information to each of the 6 registered adoption agencies in BC to be forwarded to all Imagine clients. So we should hear something late Friday, or Monday.

In the meantime, I gaze upon this and remain grateful for what I have...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update and yeah- one look at the beautiful Miss M and it all snaps firmly into perspective.

but i do hope - really hope - that you and the other folks affected by this nightmare are made whole, financially at least.

marelise said...

I am still keeping my fingers crossed for number two for you..

Melissa said...

Hey, would you mind faowarding it to me just incase (the info you get tomorrow) I'm not on a list? I'd certainly appreciate it.

melissaharmsma@gmail.com

Barbara said...

happy to melissa - tomorrow or monday - whenever it arrives.

hazel said...

Yes, you have much to be grateful, including that crazy dog. We are all pulling for #2.

p.s. Mak Daddy looks so pretty in that dress - don't suppose you have a full shot of her modelling it?

writex3 said...

Makeda is really growing up! She's so pretty. I'm glad you have her to hug and hold as you struggle through the rest of this mess.

Suzanne said...

Okay, this is sounding a bit more hopeful than the Worst Day Ever post. But still...Why? Why does this process have to be such a nightmare for so many of us? It seems like the only people who have absolutely no rights, no protection in adoption are the adoptive parents.