lilypie

Lilypie

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Stirring the Pot.... and Keep Stirring

Just wanted to reiterate what you're already reading on other blogs. Call/write your MP! I've written mine and am requesting a meeting. If I can get it, I'm happy to have a few tagalongs. The more the better. Let me know. Also, just wanted to re-post the text of an email I sent yesterday to a few people in the same boat I am in. Just some practical legal advice that I may as well share more broadly. Here you go.

"I appreciate that at this moment, money is not our concern. But, I think we can agree that if it turns out that funds were misappropriated, and this conduct caused the loss of our future families, we want to see those responsible held accountable, even if we can never truly be made whole. To me, this means, in addition to whatever court process may evolve over time, ensuring that those responsible do not benefit financially from our loss.

Over the next few days you will be receiving a legal notice to creditors. You will recall that the money we gave to Imagine was marked "in trust". In the form you receive, you need to declare those sums as being a trust claim AND an unsecured creditor claim. Please pass this advice along to anyone else you know who will be receiving such a form.

Whenever there's a bankruptcy, secured creditors get paid first and then unsecured creditors share whatever is left (typically very little). If we can prove there's been a breach of trust then there is a possibility we can sue the person(s) responsible and secure those funds from them. At this time, obviously we have no idea whether or not funds have been misappropriated, but we need to keep all of our options open in case that turns out to have been the case."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi - can I link to this post on the adoption boards? I'm sure most people will have no idea what to do with that form - I certainly wouldn't.

hazel said...

This is great, Barbara. Action!! Action!! Action!!

Anonymous said...

well done you.

Gwen said...

"Pass me my wine" is apt right now... I'm with Imagine, and I'd been waiting for a referral. Thanks for the info; I would have been at a loss when I received the papers.

Barbara said...

feel free to post this. I can give a bit more guidance once I get the form myself. i can post the letter i sent to my MP as well if anyone wants to use it as a template.

marelise said...

You go girl. I am thinking of you. Any idea what the situation is on the ground. I am not sure I will be able to sleep tonight worrying about those kids.

Barbara said...

marelise i'm reading that money has been left at the TH for about 8 days worth of food, but that's it. I do not know if that information is accurate.

Tasha Kent said...

Oh boy! Well said and written.