lilypie

Lilypie

Friday, July 17, 2009

Imagine Adoption Update

I'm not going to reprint all of the great information that's circulating on our group facebook or the yahoo boards, so I'll just give you the lowdown on a couple of things I've been following up on myself, that didn't look like were being covered by others. Apologies if they've already been covered and I missed the post(s).

First - legal action. Too soon, of course, but I wanted to touch base with BDO to make sure that they would actually be doing this for us. I know they have (expensive) counsel working for them, so we don't need to spend our good money duplicating efforts that are being paid for out of Imagine funds that were taken from us in the first place. I did get that comfort. If BDO uncovers any evidence of misappropriation of funds, they will report this to the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy who will liase with the police so the police can assess whether to lay charges. In addition, it is this Office who will make the decisions about going after any personal assets of individuals. So we definitely need to let BDO finish their work and just monitor where things are going.

Second - I travel for business a fair bit. So I knew that one of Sue's biggest "assets" was likely to be her airline points from her numerous first class trips to Ethiopia and her Starwood points from her numerous stays at the Addis Sheraton. Recently I alerted BDO about these points since, although Sue almost certainly kept them personally, they are the property of Imagine. I also inquired whether these points could be redistributed to the parents currently in Addis or on their way, many of whom are anticipating long stays that not all can afford. The Trustee (Susan Taves) told me today that Sue's airline points have now been reclaimed by BDO and her Starwood points are in the process of being reclaimed. She will not be taking advantage of her business perks to remove herself to a more desirable offshore location. (Am I petty and vindictive or what?? Boo hoo Sue!) However, BDO has made no decision about the redistribution of the points. The Trustee has the authority to redistribute them, but is not planning on making these decisions right away. She doesn't think it will be necessary because.... (drum roll please)... the High Commission is meeting on Monday and with all the pressure being put on them by US!!! she expects that parents will not be waiting 3 months for their Visas and this should start moving along pretty quickly.

Hope this cheers some of you up!

17 comments:

hazel said...

I would never have thought about her points - OUTSTANDING!!

Jenny said...

Wow!!! That is awesome, I am so glad you did this! Wahaha Wahahahah too bad Sue....

Gina said...

Great work, girl! This is good news for everyone concerned!

Anonymous said...

ha hah. You rule.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Good job! It's heading in the right direction, let's keep it going!
Kim @ tickledpink

Unknown said...

That's great news but I think we need to keep the pressure on! My wife and I have a daughter in the transition house so as you can "imagine", we're sitting on G waiting for O.

Tami said...

Remind me to keep you on my side! I am like Haze, I would have never thought of those points. You rock!

Mamato2 said...

IN SERIOUS AWE... WOW.

Anonymous said...

wow - I would have missed that too. very smart.

Courtney said...

Good job about the points- loving it! Poor poor Sue... how will she adjust to a hotel where she has to blowdry her hair herself using one of those little hairdryers attached to the wall? It's just going to be tragic!

Courtney

Dianne said...

EXCELLENT! I can see her now... shifting uncomfortably in economy class... HAHAHAHAHA.

Tasha Kent said...

is there a post or article somewhere that explains all this? You mention Sue and BDO... I'm trying to put the pieces together of who's who to get a better understanding of what all went down with Imagine. I'm assuming Sue is the CEO?

Tasha Kent said...

never mind. I just googled it and found a wealth of articles talking about this horrible situation.

Ranavan said...

O.k. I rarely comment on your blog but I do read it - yes, I am a bit of a lurker.

I just had to say Kudos to you for thinking of the points!!!

Love it that she will have to now fly like everyone else! Uh, and ya...it makes me sick to think she was flying first class on family's money!

emily said...

Way to go on the points!!! I'm so glad you thought of that. Nice work.

Melissa said...

Airmiles -- I'd've never thought of it! So glad to have youon our side!

BCMommy said...

I am sitting in a tiny farm in my husband's village in Greece, doing an eeeevil laugh under this olive tree. Is that bad??
Thanks for brightening my day!
Claire