lilypie

Lilypie

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Still Showerin' in Vancouver

Well, last Friday was shower #2, aka "the office". And what a show it was. We have 4 offices across the country, so it was video-conferenced. There was an agenda. I've never attended a shower that had an actual agenda before. There were kind words delivered by a few friends and colleagues in each office, a "celebrity adoption" powerpoint (you just know that every work shower is going to feature a powerpoint), a quiz on Ethiopia and - wait for it - a song from the Toronto office. Sadly, I don't have a recording (although that may be a blessing - hee hee - ok, ok, I'm sure y'all sounded great and it was just the quality of the video-conferencing equipment that brought you down). But, I do have the lyrics. I was going to include just a few verses, but frankly, the whole song was so awesome I just couldn't edit any of the verses out. So here it is, sung to John Denver's "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" (and, just as an aside, I am a wee bit alarmed that when matching me to a song, you chose country...)

"Life in Lotus land is kinda laid back
Ain't much a suave lawyer like me can't hack
But gettin' bored shoppin' for Prada slingbacks
Thank God I'm a mama now

A simple kind of life was never for me
Now raisin' me a family and workin' at "V"
Days are now filled with diapers n' doggies
Thank God I'm a mama now

When I got me a daughter I got me my dream
When she smiles at me, she's my little sunbeam
Don't ever ever want my old regime
Thank God I'm a mama now

Well I got me a house and got a baby
By the time the suns up she's in dress number three
Life ain't nothin' but loads of laundry
Thank God I'm a mama now

In just a few months I'll be back full tilt
For now by eight I start to wilt
Amazin' how much milk a child can spill
Thank God I'm a mama now

When I got me a daughter I got me my dream
When she smiles at me, she's my little sunbeam
Don't ever ever want my old regimeeeee
Thank God I'm a mama now

Miss drivin' my Mer-ce-des rag top
And ridin' my bike to Whistler nonstop
But I found a lot of cute kid shops
Thank God I'm a mama now

When the works all done and I've thrown in the towel
I pull out my bottle of Burrowing Owl
Makeda's asleep and I'm prayin' for no howls
Thank God I'm a mama now"

Thank-you all so much for the great party. I did my best to suss out the main culprits, but I'm sure I've missed some. Thanks El, Jim, Ungad, Joseph, Deanna and everyone else who wrote the fantastic lyrics, Delilah for the celeb powerpoint, Kev, Ungad, Joanne, Mani and Sylvain for the kind words and Jen and Erin for generally organizing and doing invites. If I've missed anyone, please help me do a shout-out to them.

Last but not least, this was a "no gift" shower as the Vancouver office had already showered me with 5 duffel bags of goodies for Makeda's orphanage. I couldn't canvas any of the other offices for contributions 'cause I knew I'd never be able to carry it. BUT, the Montreal office got ahold of the orphanage "wishlist" and did another big shop for me. The spoils were all piled on their boardroom table and they're even taking care of delivery. Merci Montreal - you rock!!

Love you guys (I'd say I miss you but let's face it, I'm either on a call or email with most of you most weeks anyway, and plus it's really hard to miss anyone when I'm out under the sun in 25 degree weather at a park with my baybee.) See you all way, way, way too soon.

5 comments:

hazel said...

WOW!!! I am WAY impressed.

Awesome song...and PPTs too! Heaven!!

Seriously, how fantastic is your office??! I bet you can't wait to get back to working with them... NOT!

See you and Makeda in a month - WOOT!

los cazadores said...

Pretty darn cute song! Clever too since they put to 'Country Boy'.

Cindy

Tanya said...

I love the song lyrics... I think you should record your version of it and play it on your blog!! ha ha

What an awesome bunch of co-workers

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic. I love the song. They seemed to know you pretty well (other than the country lyrics, of course).

Dianne said...

Amazing! What a great place to work!

Seriously? An agenda? The type-A in me loves it.