lilypie

Lilypie

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Message to Fozia

Well, I've thought long and hard about posting this entry. A toss up between celebrating the great gift given to me by a perfect stranger thousands of miles away, and respecting her right to her privacy. I know she worries that I've forgotten her. And we don't have a really reliable way to keep in touch. It also seems appropriate to acknowledge her publicly, since she is, after all, the birth mom to a baby whose arrival has been celebrated so widely and by so many people. A lot of people have asked about Fozia. But, frankly, a lot of the information I have about her is most appropriately shared first with Makeda, who in time will decide what she wants to share with others. After all, it's Makeda's story. But I will say that Fozia is a beautiful young woman who determined that her current circumstances did not lend themselves to raising a child alone. She has great hopes for Makeda's future - hopes that could not be met in Ethiopia - and I've committed to ensuring that Makeda will be able to fulfil those hopes here, in Canada. Her legacy to Makeda was her name - Animo - which is now Makeda's middle name. Animo means "like me" in Fozia's language. I can't think of a greater gift than a name like that - one that forever connects mother and daughter. So, Fozia, be assured that not a day goes by that I don't think of you and thank you for the gift you gave me. Makeda is thriving and loved. Like I promised, I will send pictures. They're printed and ready to be mailed. And there will always be more on the way.

7 comments:

Tanya said...

That is a beautiful tribute to both Makeda and Fozia.

Anonymous said...

Lovely. You are so so fortunate to know you daughter's mother! And Makeda is so fortunate that have such a wonderful respect for and attitude about her.

Anonymous said...

What a true blessing to be able to have met this important young woman and to someday be able to share with Makeda about her birth mother. I know that for me, I have so much emotion tied to the birth mothers of my adopted and yet-to-be-adopted children that I have a hard time putting words to it. You have done a nice job of paying tribute and respecting Fozia's privacy at the same time.

Tasha Kent said...

It's poetic in a way and reminds me of poems that have the 'passing torch' theme. In this case, Makeda is like a bright, shining flame of hope that is passed from one mum to another. In poetry, the flame is a symbol of hope, prosperity, and faith. The same that Makeda embodies. Also in your case, the flame has a name meaning 'Like Me'.. so Fozia passed her likeness on to you because you both are similar in so many ways: single mothers, love the same daughter, and have the same hopes for her.

Dianne said...

The connection spoken in her middle name is beautiful. I have to agree with Tasha... it is also a precious reminder of the connection that is shared by Makeda's two mothers. I hope your updates will be a source of joy and comfort to Fozia.

hazel said...

Beautiful. I think you conveyed your message very well, while respecting the privacy of all involved. I'm glad you have a relationship with Fozia that will allow you to keep her informed on how Makeda is doing. Makeda is going to love knowing that her birth mother has a lifetime of hopes and dreams for her. Animo is a beautiful tribute, indeed.

auntiemare said...

I have so enjoyed reading your blog and viewing the pictures. Makeda is so beautiful and such a joy to be with. Fozia, Makeda and you were blessed to have found each other. I look forward to watching her grow into a young woman.