lilypie

Lilypie

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

It's Raining Showers!

Well, now that Makeda and I are back and largely settled in, it's time to party! She has been blessed with not one, not two, but THREE baby showers. The first one, this past Saturday, was the "family and family friends" shower. Which means, to a large extent, parents and friends of the parents. Which also means, "women of a certain age" and therefore "real women who can actually do stuff". These are the women who, when the earthquake hits and I'm on the floor in fetal position because there's no electricity for my blow dryer, will be reroofing their houses by hand from the detritus left behind. In other words, many of Makeda's gifts were handmade treasures that I will keep forever. I can't possibly show them all, but I've taken a couple of snaps of Makeda in two of the outfits. This dress and hat was knit by Marilyn.



And this poncho and hat was knit by Lynne. And this is what happens when you're so busy taking pictures you don't notice your child is falling asleep in the sitting position - ass over teakettle.
Plus, aside from this and all the other great stuff, I got FOOD!! All I've tried so far is brother-in-law's chile, which rocked, so let's just say the bar has been set high. Much like the hungry caterpillar, I intend to slowly munch my way through the goodies for many weeks to come.

And I know I keep saying this kid doesn't stop smiling, and I suppose you're all getting skeptical, since none of my photos actually show this happening. But it's true - really. It's just that as soon as my face goes behind the camera, no more smile. Soon, soon, when the sun comes out, real friends with real cameras will come to the Insley household and do a better job, I promise.

7 comments:

hazel said...

OMG, "Ass over teakettle" indeed! I guffawed aloud at that one. I can't believe you managed to snap her at that precise moment. It's the funniest thing I've seen in ages.

Besides that, those outfits are too cute. There is certainly something to be said for 'women of a certain age.'

p.s. I've been noticing a pattern across a few blogs now. I think our kids are going to develop some sort of blogging syndrome/complex from their mothers totally ignoring them in order to 'get the shot' first. It might end up in the medical books in a few years. (I can't wait till I can ignore my kid for a photo op). Great job, Barbara.

Tasha Kent said...

In a fetal position crying over no electricity for the hair dryer??? Boy, you sure have your priorities screwed up.

You cry first, because you have no lights to see that you have your 'clean' Spanx panties on. (just in case a cute guy has to bury you out of the rubble, you'll appreciate having a flat tummy.)

Hair dryer is something like 3 or 4 on the list.

Sheesh.

Otherwise, those gifts totally rock.

Tanya said...

Those a wonderful presents! I love the "ass over tea kettle" picture!

You know you are a good mom when you get a pic instead of running to the rescue ;-) at least that is what I tell myself.

Anonymous said...

OMG - like Haze, I laughed out loud at the Ass Over Teakettle photo.

And, I am ashamed to say that I didn't stop taking photos the other day when my girl suddenly dissolved into tears. I just had to keep shooting. So now I have photographic evidence of my neglect. :-)

I can't believe the talent of your shower guests... those things are beautiful.

As is Makeda, of course. :-)

Dianne said...

She fell asleep like that? That girl is gifted!!

Beautiful gifts! What a lot of love went into them.

I appreciate that you took a picture before setting her upright again :)

los cazadores said...

Hey, your babe is gorgeous! Just snoopin' around here...:)

Cindy

Tami said...

Hilarious...I can fall asleep like that and have been known to fall asleep in big crowds! She is my kind of girl. LOL

BTW...love the outfits!