lilypie

Lilypie

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Domestic Goddess

So, tick tock, countdown to baby is imminent, and it seemed a good time to make sure that both M and I have something to eat when we get back home in a few weeks. So, my dear friend Gayle, who I have known since she sat down next to me in Economic Geography (what the hell is that anyway) in undergrad, offered to come over and show me how to make babyfood.

Now, the Barb don't cook. Not for herself and certainly not for anyone else. In fact, my personal motto has always been that if I want a guy of out my life stat, the way to his exit is through his stomach via my homecooked meal. So, there was an element of risk exposing a small child to my culinary expertise. But, there's a four month leave of absence looming in my immediate future, which means time on my hands and less money in my pocket for baby take-out, so I took her up on her offer and we rolled up our sleeves.

It was not an auspicious start, since the fruit I selected was apparently not sufficiently ripe for a small child to digest, putting the proposed fruit purees on the backburner, right out of the gate. So, we moved instead to the veggie purees. That didn't go so bad and my flagging enthusiasm was somewhat revived. Then it was time for the prunes. After discovering that 7 prunes and 20 minutes of effort squeezes out approximately one tablespoon of puree, it was time to pack it in.

Final result: notwithstanding that I came out of it with about 3 weeks worth of baby food and it was a solid bonding event for the two of us, we both agreed that round two would most likely consist of me online ordering from sweetpeababyfood. Apparently, they also deliver, and that's practically baby take-out. Stick with what you know, I say.

This is Sonja, Gayle's oldest, stirring the veggies.




























Me, loading up the little icecube trays. Gayle, loading the blender.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to cook and yet I'm buying all my babyfood for Elsa. Organic of course, and good quality, but jeez, if I had to cook right now it would send me right over the edge.

The local Whole Foods has good jarred organic baby food - not sure what markets are close to you, but it's a lot cheaper to buy it at the store than to order it and have it shipped...

Barbara said...

LOL. It's ok, I'm not quite that high maintenance (yet). There's a Choices market (similar to Whole Foods) that's just a stroll away.

hazel said...

Er, loading the ice cubes and the blender? Sounds more like you & Gayle were making margaritas, not babyfood!

Despite that, I am very impressed by your ambitiousness. Thanks for confirming the amount of work involved to yield a piddling amount. Now I'll feel less guilty buying organic babyfood off the shelf.

I just heard about Planet Organic in Calgary - don't know if you have them in Van.

Tasha Kent said...

re: your comment on Habesha's blog. I am shocked and offended that you think I would show up to a wedding nekkid. I would never do that. I may, however, end up nekkid due to the open bar and the lure of the dollar bills being waved in front of me. But I would never show up unclothed.

If you look at my post today titled Mondays are Hard, you'll see a picture of me in my finest couture. That dress wasn't cheap! It cost me a good $21.99 at Forever 21 for that pink dress.

Honey, you're jealous because I am One. Classy. Lady.