lilypie

Lilypie

Monday, May 19, 2008

Both Feet Planted Firmly on the Ground

Well, we're back now from our historical circuit of Northern Ethiopia. As most of you know, we've been exploring a little of M's homeland, starting northwest in Bahir Dar and working our way east through Gondar, ending in Lalibela. The entire tour was spectacular, but the highlight had to be the remarkable rock-hewn churches of Lalibela. These churches are not carved into the rock, but rather, have been freed entirely from it. Having seen the pyramids of Egypt up close and personal, I guarantee you will find the Lalibela churches equally astonishing.

However, before you pack your bags, a couple of Barb tips to ease your journey:

(1) Being the only African state to avoid colonization is a source of pride to Ethiopians. But, independence comes at a cost, namely, no wealthy Europeans to build the infrastructure. Now, having explored other parts of East Africa, and being generally high maintenance, I was not shy about requesting that we be booked in the best accomodation available in each city. Nonetheless, I'm here to tell you that it is possible to spend 4 hours scaling 2500 feet of rock, on a sightseeing mission, alternating between hiking and mule, under the mid-day sun, and still determine upon arrival back at the hotel that person cleaniless would best be maximized by NOT stepping into the shower.

(2) Another source of Ethiopian pride is the national airline, Ethiopian air. Their safety record is fine, but the aircraft interiors do not always receive timely upgrades and repairs. So, expect seats to be in permanent recline, table trays to pop down at unpredictable intervals, and don't expect seat cushions to stay fixed to the seat. The Northern route is mountainess, so expect some fairly extreme turbulence, which adds to the unpredictability and anticipation regarding the location of the above-referenced interior components. Your (small) plane will also careen back and forth on the runway when it lands before coming to a shaky stop. Since your route through the Northern circuit is a milkrun between cities, the excitement will be multiplied by 3, each way, as you ping pong between each city. Survival tactics I recommend include: keep food consumption to a minimum (this is assisted by the unpredictability of the feeding schedule, notwithstanding that the flight schedule itself never varies). Take heart in the fact that every Ethiopian on the plane is either Muslim or Christian and someone's prayers are bound to be answered. Lastly, keep the ipod volume on maximum as this helps drown out the silent screams reverberating in your head.

On a more serious note, in about 12 hours I will take permanent custody of my beloved Makeda. I had the privilege of meeting her beautiful birthmom, Fozia, in Nazret, before I left on the tour, and we will be meeting again tomorrow at the orphanage so she can say good-bye and I can get some pics of her and M together. In the meantime, we have the crib set up in the hotel room and the ipod is loaded with every possible Baby Bach sonata that she ever could have listened to at the orphanage. I seem to have mastered the intricacies of the Baby Bjorn and every baby supply known to man is neatly stacked on the second bed in my hotel room in anticipation of the 10% chance she'll actually need it (I thought I needed 10 onesies for 3 days becuz???). So now, for the rest of the evening, it's all about the wine.

ciao for now,

xox Barb

p.s. Leslie your camera rocks.

p.p.s. whoever left the voicemail on my cell phone apparently I can't access it from down here. Hope it wasn't important. Please tell me my dogs are ok. No wait, I don't want to know. Yes I do. No I don't.

Next stop, HOME!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. You make sure to tell M's birth mom that her extended family is shaking in anticipation of her arrival.

And you thank her, for me. Because I will be eternally grateful to her for the gift she has given to you, and in doing so, the gift she has given to me. I am so grateful to be able to walk beside you on this journey, and to be a part of Makeda's life. So you tell her we all say "thank you." Really.

I love you. Come home safe. And don't tell me any more about those rocky flights. See you Saturday.

Tasha Kent said...

What a gift to meet the b-mom!

Glad you are safe and sound.

Anonymous said...

I had to wait a few minutes before I could write this because your post made me cry. We can't wait until you get home.

I agree with Wendy on all accounts, including the part about no more plane stories!

See you Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Your dogs are absolutely fine! Auntie Judy and Auntie Leslie have done the switch-over and Auntie Leslie is hopefully spoiling them as much as Auntie Judy did. I've had to supplement the treat supply already!

I'm glad to hear you have survived your travels in Ethiopia and look forward to seeing your awesome pictures taken on my rockin' camera.

But all of that pales compared to how excited and happy and tearful I am that you and your daughter will be together some time today. I am so pleased that you met Fozia and I think it is lovely that you are meeting her again at the orphanage to say goodbye. Makeda will be so thankful for those memories and pictures when she grows up.

I can hardly wait until Saturday when we finally get to meet Makeda (oh, and welcome you and your parents back too).

Have a safe journey back!

Anonymous said...

You are a freak.

Stop obsessing, loosah. The dogs are fine. Well, actually, they are little ****s, but then you already knew that, didn't you? Auntie Leslie is being far too kind (except for the "spoiled" part---she nailed that). Giving them treats was the only path to sanity and safety. I know baksheesh when it's asked of me. Frankly, I think they sense that something is up which accounts for their frequent bouts of high spiritedness (ADHD). If they weighed 50 pounds they would have given me a 5 minute head start, then hunted me for their pleasure and amusement.

Both Leslie and I are in competition to see who can come up with the most draconian way to deal with the little poop machines. I am all for putting them on "Spin" cycle for a darn good long time.

I laughed heartily and cruelly at your description of the plane ride and the shower facilities. I can see that wrinkled nose from here...

I am glad you met M's birth mom. I know she will be comforted knowing that she met Mak's mom. That's a big deal.

We can't wait till you all get home. The mad dogs send their love...

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you met Makeda's birth mom. And, now you are with your daughter! Once again, enjoy these last few days together in Ethiopia and we wish you all a very safe trip home! PS Thank you for LJ's b-day gift; she was dancing around yesterday saying she was a ballerina. And, SJ is looking forward to helping out with the dogwalking when you are back and we meet up for walks!

QB said...

Thanks for the tips and update. I hope you have a very smooth and happy ride home.