lilypie

Lilypie

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Adventures in Addis

So far, absolutely nothing has gone as planned, so it's all hectic but perfect. I'll post the details later. But suffice it to say, I have met my daughter, and she is perfect. Here is what I know about her so far, after about 3 hours in her company:

(1) she is gorgeous. She has lips like rosebuds and her eyelashes are so long they curl up at the ends.
(2) she has an iron grip. She likes to hold two hands at once and will grip one of mine and reach out her other one for gramma or grampa.
(3) she loves to talk. Her vocal talents also consist of being able to emit high pitched squeals without even opening her mouth.
(4) she has just discovered her hands and she finds them far more fascinating than she does her new mom!
(5) she loves to pucker her lips and blow raspberries.
(6) she snores when she naps.

If all goes according to plan (for once) I will take custody of her on the morning of the 20th.

Makeda sends a special hi to aunties wendy and lisa (and oh yeah mom and dad and me throw one in too).

11 comments:

hazel said...

WOOT!!

Can't wait for the pictures.

Anonymous said...

The girls and I are reading this together. We are so excited! Can you post a picture??

When you get back I will stay with you Sat, Sun, Mon and Tuesday. I may be able to get Wednesday off but I told the boss I would play it by ear (I need to appease the new boss a bit...turns out she had NO IDEA that I was only going to be working part time. She expected me to be full time, so that didn't go over well. I'll tell you more when you come home).

If Mom is rested enough to replace me, then I will work on Wednesday and Thursday. If she's not, I will stay with you one more day but then I will come home for my birthday on Thursday. (If I'm not here for that the kids will be upset). I can come back for the next weekend too if you want / need me to.

Hopefully that made sense. I CAN'T WAIT to meet her!!!! Come home soon!!!!

Tasha Kent said...

Fantastic!! Priceless!

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how excited you are, Barb. Jenna and I will be over to see you both the night you get back. Pepperoni or Ham and Pineapple?!

Lots of love.

Auntie Lisa

Tanya said...

Oh that is just fantastic!
(The meeting your daughter part, not the nothing going according to plan part)

Yoli said...

Congratulations!!!! She sounds dreamy! Can't wait to see pictures.

Anonymous said...

Awesome news about meeting Makeda! We want pictures! I hope the rest of your trip goes more smoothly.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the beginning of the rest of your life! Widget and Ruff wag their tails in delight for both of you (oh, I have stories...LOL!). Don't worry, all is well here---the party we had was FABULOUS!

Nothing going to plan? Good! I can hardly wait to see you in "wingin' it" mode...I am sure you are handling everything with aplomb.

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb, I am thrilled that you have finally been able to hold your daughter. I can only imagine how wonderful that must have felt. I hope the rest of the trip is brilliant, and I look forward to meeting Makeda soon.

QB said...

Yay! I did not expect an update while you are gone and I'm so happy I checked anyway! Congratulations on getting to your daughter. I hope things go smoothly for you from here on out. Can't wait to hear more.

Anonymous said...

Oh Barb, we are so happy for you! I have been thinking of you daily and what an amazing experience those first moments with Makeda must have been! The girls are excited to meet their new "cousin" and we're holding their birthday party June 1, so we would love to have you and Makeda here for that! Have a wonderful rest of trip and a lovely, safe and easy trip home!