lilypie

Lilypie

Friday, February 12, 2010

Fever

Olympic Fever that is!!!

Today, I'm right in the thick of it. Working downtown, I can see helicopters and planes flying overhead all the time. It's quite a racket. The Flame went by out front about an hour ago and the crowds are huge. Last night I grabbed Makeda and we went with B and her sons into Kitsilano to watch it go through that neighborhood. Men in black talking importantly into earpieces as they surround the runner. Makeda waved at everyone in true princess style and swished a Canadian flag back and forth. Here she is with Tessie.
















I've now attached my obligatory Canadian flag to my car and am starting to line up tickets to a few events. You may recall this. In order to ensure that my sports and culture exposure remain balanced, I've also acquired tickets to see this quintessential Canadian band which is playing with that other quintessential Canadian band, Loverboy, at one of the medal ceremonies (I know, I know you've never heard of them, but trust me, north of the border these boys were HUGE back in the '80's.)





Lastly, even though I don't have tickets, I'll be watching this at 3:30 pm (EST) on Monday February 15th - Robel Teklemarian, Ethiopia's sole representative at the Winter Olympics, compete in the Men's 15km cross-country skiing event.








You can read and comment on his blog here. Makeda will be dropping by the office Monday afternoon to share the Ethiopian Olympic spirit and enjoy the race while mama enjoys the view. Is he hot or what?

Go Canada (and Ethiopia) Go!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wooh hoo! love that you are throwing yourself into the spirit of the games - and bringing M along for the ride.

stay away from the luge, please. :-(

and wow - Loverboy! are those guys still alive, or is it a coverband? just kidding. kind of.

hazel said...

Dang! I wish I could be there. Especially now I see you're going to see Trooper and Loverboy.

Go Canada! Go Ethiopia!

...and go usa.

hazel said...

p.s. how absolutely embarrassing is it to watch these videos that we used to love so much. I was watching a Streetheart vid the other day and almost died of shame and laughter.

writex3 said...

My daughter had a hockey tourny in Canada today and their theme was the Olympics - I was even feeling patriotic about Canada and its not even my country! Enjoy the games!