lilypie

Lilypie

Monday, February 15, 2010

I Love This Man!

News Reporter, interviewing Robel Teklemariam: "Tonight, he'll carry the Ethiopian flag as part of the opening ceremonies."

Robel: "I have to, I'm the only one."

Love it. A trailblazer with a sense of humour.

Now, for all you Lower Mainlanders, check this out. There will be a fun-filled family event to recognize the dedication and hard work of Robel Teklemariam in representing his country as a sole competitor. It is also to inspire children and youth of Ethiopian origin that live in Vancouver to pursue their dreams as Robel did. This event will take place on February 27th from 3:30-7:00 p.m. at Collingwood Neighbourhood House located on 5288 Joyce Street, Vancouver, BC V5R 4G8.

I'm also trying to arrange something through his brother that would focus on our local adoption community, but I haven't heard back yet. Stay tuned.

On a slightly different, but still sporty note, VANOC is releasing "surprise" tickets on a haphazard and random basis, so you have to keep checking the website, and one of my friends just scored Row 13 men's figure skating for us this Thursday night. Go Patrick Chan!!! And (although the musical guest at this ceremony cannot begin to compete with Trooper and Lover Boy next week), I have also scored tickets to tonight's medal ceremony where the big prize will be presented to none other than... Alex Bilodeau! For $22! I'm on a role.

5 comments:

Ashleigh said...

You are on a role.
And, while living on the Island is great most of the time, it's events such as the one(s) you mentioned/are trying to arrange which make it crap to live on the Island.
Still, these things take sacrifice sometimes...keep me in the loop on the brother-event and I will see what I can do at my end to get to the 27. Thanks for the heads up!! (My dad worked on georgia for YEARS before moving to HK.)
I can't believe you scored those tickets for $22. Man.

hazel said...

DAGNABIT!

Is Robel's brother as cute as he is?

Anonymous said...

ha! Hazel already asked the very first question that popped into my mind. That Robel is a a hottie.

Janice said...

I was so excited to learn about Robel. What an amazing inspiration he is for so many.

You are so lucky to be able to go to these olympic events. I'm so jealous.

june said...

jealous!