lilypie

Lilypie

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Are We Done Yet?

The Olympics have been an absolute blast, but it's time for everyone to go home now. I'm exhausted. And fat. I've never eaten so many street vendor hotdogs in such a short period of time. I was voted "best mixed meat" at one event after an accounting of everything I'd chowed down on over the course of 3 hours.

I saw way more stuff than I had planned to. Unused tickets fell into my lap, which was fabulous for me, and helped make sure there were few empty seats at the arenas. Kudos to everyone who gave away/horsetraded tickets that they couldn't use. Notwithstanding I came into the Olympics with tickets to only the women's gold medal hockey game, I ended up attending two medal ceremonies, including our first gold, Alex Bilodeau, the men's long program ice skating final, the ice dancing finals where Canada won gold, and of course, the women's ice hockey gold medal game. So I came as close to a lot of gold as I'm ever going to. Here we are at the women's gold medal game. It was an amazing game and amazing crowd:










But here's my Olympic highlight (and that includes the men's gold medal hockey, which I will blessedly be viewing from the comfort of my own home tomorrow):















On the right, the man who needs no introduction, and on the left, his brother Yosef. Both lovely lovely men who were gracious enough to extend an invitation to this Ethiopian community event, to the adoption community as well. Makeda, of course, is more interested in the Olympic torch. The icing on the cake was this:














Yes, Robel autographed Makeda's soccer ball. Look, right under "one love". What a great day!

7 comments:

Joy said...

Wow!

Ashleigh said...

That is amazing, Barbara. I'm a little green after seeing the last pic. Actually, very green. Recounts (by friends) of the ferries, etc had us scared off and just couldn't do it. So wish we were there.
Hope you sleep well tonight - knowing it's back to "same ol' same ol'" tomorrow

Gina said...

What fun! Glad you got to so many events. Of course, the Ethiopian party looks like it was the best! Love that soccer ball!

shannon said...

SOooooooo jealous
You got to meet the one guy I spent most of my olympic tv time trying to spot some coverage of.

I really just wanted to meet him to share how what a great sport I think he is , his attitude is what made the olympics for me,

I also really wanted to share that I think he thinks about getting to snow as I think about getting to Ethiopia !

Have a good week getting back to a normal life
Shannon ( aka #61 ) but not really sure what it is now , not important just so trilled to have a number and keeping the dream alive

Anonymous said...

OMG OMG OMG. I am so jealous! how super-cool is this?!?! wow. that soccer ball is a total keeper.

paige said...

OMM

17 shades of jealous that you met the Ethiopian team--Robel!

Looks like it was a blast.

hazel said...

Just reading this now...HOLY CRAP!!

Was sad to miss the women's gold hockey game but I had a better offer - mixed meat or no mixed meats.

Still, getting that ball autographed - that's outstanding!

(did you have icing on your chest or is there a reason you daugther is trying to lick you?)