lilypie

Lilypie

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Breaking the Bank

Let me first say that, since I didn't buy anything for myself, I count that as staying within my allotted $0 budget. I also have to correct the popular misconception that there's some sort of recession going on down in the States. Having seen Wall Street up close and personal, and having witnessed the dearth of sales in SoHo and Midtown, I can attest that apparently all is well and good in the U.S of A. Seriously - 2 hours in Bergdorf's and we walked out without a thing. Although in that particular store, it wasn't the lack of a sale, it was bearing witness to the carnage left behind from several thousand post-Christmas shoppers who had picked the place clean.

Deigning to leave town empty-handed, I trotted over to (mmmmm) Tiffany's. I think I could be a Tiffany girl with a little practice if only I could find a walking wallet to call my own. Until that day (and he) arrives, I unfortunately must continue, for the most part, to windowshop. But not entirely. Ever since Makeda arrived, I've been thinking about what kind of trinket I'd like to pass on to her. And I finally decided. Meet the Tiffany charm bracelet, together with charm #1, a cupcake for my cupcake. I'm going to add one charm each year as a stocking stuffer, hopefully finding a charm that represents something special or otherwise representative of that past year. The idea will be that she can take custody of something that I hope will reflect her life (so far) with me, when she turns Sweet 16. I also hope to start the same tradition when her little sister arrives on the scene. I guess that means I'm not quitting my day job any time soon.

8 comments:

Tami said...

Cute. Very cute. I have one of those bracelets that an ex gave to me years ago that I no longer wear, maybe I can steal your tradition and do the same with Baby I. Thanks for the idea oh...and YES there is absolutely a recession in the STATES...you were in NYC, they shop there, did you go to Harlem, Queens, Brooklyn or places where they need jobs? What about Cleveland, Detroit or other areas...even LA? Nah, didn't think so! :-)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! She will love it!

The Journey said...

"When her little sister arrives on the scene." Are you in the process for baby #2? Exciting! Glad you enjoyed NY, I've transferred my shopping habit from items for me to items for our son. Its my way of being more fiscally responsible...shoes for me run $100+ whereas shoes for him run $15+. That qualifies as cost cutting, right?

hazel said...

Welcome back.

That's a wonderful tradition to start for your girls. The charm bracelet & charm are gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

buying things for the munchkin TOTALLY doesn't count as shopping. At least that's my position.

Barbara said...

Hey! Looks like I've started a trend. Had quite a few emails on this. And Tami, I'm not making light - but with 50,000 jobs lost on Wall Street, I was thinking I'd see some evidence of a slowdown. Come to think of it, the security line up to get in NYSE was quite a bit quicker. hmmm.

writex3 said...

Oh, how sweet - I love it! And I gotta back Tami up here, as just this week, we've had 1 close friend and 1 family member lose their jobs. It hadn't hit home for us until now. We're really, really sad for them.

Barbara said...

Welcome, Adventures North. I can't access your blog. If you'd like to send me an invite, you can reach me at monstertruckgal@shaw.ca!