lilypie

Lilypie

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Croup Be Gone

Sometimes as I struggle with the whole single parenting thing, I really do have reason to believe there's someone looking after me. Balancing the whole executive career thing with child in general is tough, but toss in some travel requirements and unexpected long days and watch those multitasking/organizational skills blossom. However, stuff generally tends to work out. Earlier this week, I was in New York on business, followed by Toronto. I knew that Makeda had acquired a bad cold while I was away, but there seemed to be nothing significant about it. I took an early flight back from Toronto so I would get home before she went to bed, Tuesday night. I arrived home at about 7:00pm and unfortunately, due to the cold, she had passed out early. I logged onto the computer at home, baby monitor at hand. By about 7:30, something didn't seem right with the noise I was hearing. I grabbed her out of the crib and it was obvious she was having some trouble breathing. Off to emergency we go. Breathing difficulties come and go - as long as I keep her sitting up, she mostly does ok. Five hours later, finally get a doctor. Diagnosed with croup ("oops" says the doctor, she should have been fasttracked, I wonder why the nurses didn't do that). Moments later, on steroids, no oxygen required yet but she's not allowed to leave. Five more hours later, allowed to go back home. By now it's 5am. Write off the remainder of the day (which, unbelievably, only consisted of 2 hours of easy to ditch meetings - an absolute rarity these days) while I hover over her as she sleeps most of the day. The cough starts. I know it hurts her. She sounds like a little seal, but there's nothing I can give her, other than some children's tylenol. Slow, steady recovery with that ever-constant smile on her face. By today, she was almost completely recovered, which is apparently just going to happen in time for my Wednesday flight to Portland for a conference. See? It's magic.

And did I mention she managed to keep that smile on her face? Here's today's photo op.


11 comments:

The Journey said...

She's so adorable. I'm constantly in awe of woman who are rock star single working moms. Someone may be looking out for you but you're definitely a rock star!

Barbara said...

(blush). i'm verklempt.

marelise said...

Croup can be really scary. I am glad she is OK. Steamy bathrooms can often help with the breathing. Good luck mom.

Marelise

los cazadores said...

It's inspiring how much you take on and seem to do it flawlessly...

That Makeda is a sweet smiley cupcake.

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so so sorry to hear you had to live through the croup. man, it SUCKS. And how evil can an illness be to attack only during the night hours? Seriously, it's just wrong.

So glad your lovely girl is feeling better, and hope you are catching up on sleep.

Unknown said...

Yes, I remember the seal-like cough. And yes, steamy showers are the best, or taking her out for a walk in the rain. Of course, it's not raining in Vancouver now, when you actually need it. Glad to hear she's better.

writex3 said...

Poor baby and poor mommy! Its no fun for anyone when they are sick.

Alicia said...

Get better soon sweet girl!

Sha Zam- said...

I just found your blog. Keep writing! I'm marking you into my blog roll now. I'm also single and PAP to my Ethiopian little ones.

paige said...

B Gal, where are you?

Missing your wit...

Barbara said...

Welcome Shannon!