lilypie

Lilypie

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

New York City on a Shoestring Budget

Tomorrow a.m. I leave for New Yawk City. This is not a boondoggle - it is a legitimate biz trip. It does, however, involve a work colleague from the Centre of the Universe who enjoys her shoes as much as I do. So, I anticipate being able to shop vicariously through her on Sunday, before our meetings start on Monday. Why vicariously, you ask? How is it that I, professional shoe shopper, could possibly satisfy my "urges" tagging along behind somebody else? Put quite simply, plumbing. Not mine, personally, but plumbing that I own and must now repair. $5000 worth in fact. That's just the start. Inadequate drainage systems not only create flood opportunities, but apparently also cause the wooden aspects of 1926 structures to, you guessed it, rot. Ergo, major infrastructure upgrades over the next few months. Let's say $10,000 or so to start to plug the dyke (this is really all starting to sound quite rude, isn't it?) with sky's the limit potential from there.

Anyway, back to New Yawk. I need cheap things to do. Asap actually, since my flight leaves tomorrow. I'll try and coax Eleanor into paying for my street vendor hotdog, but I also need cheap entertainment. I'm staying in the Financial District where I suppose I could gaze for awhile at the tanks and machine guns surrounding the Stock Exchange premises, but that will grow old pretty quick. So, all suggestions welcome. In the meantime, enjoy these - we've been blanketed in fog for the last 19 days. It finally lifted this afternoon. These are a couple of pics of the city taken while we were fogged in.





6 comments:

writex3 said...

OH, I feel so sad for you about your plumbing. Its just miserable to spend money on things like that (from someone who's still paying off the roof & insulation I never see).

hazel said...

Ugh to the plumbing. What a drag. I think you'll have to cave and make at least one mad purchase for your self. It is, after all, NYC.

The foggy pics are gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

lucky for Gramma & Grampa they have Makeda's company for a few days. Yesterday she was totally spoiled while in the company of Aunty Wendy, Uncle Ben, and of course Zach, Jaime, and Rae. Today, although cold, is sunny, and therefore a walk will be coming after lunch. The 'five little ducks' story has been read so many times that she's very close to repeating it herself!! Much fun!!

Anonymous said...

part #2: relax, Mama, the @#$%^&* car seat has been mastered!!!!!

Anonymous said...

lucky you! I mean for the trip.

The plumbing, that is another story. Holy crapola, that is one expensive leak!!! yowsa.

Hope NYC is/was fab - be sure to give us the report!

los cazadores said...

Holy Mother of Fogginess. How did your trip go? Shop vicariously? Hit So-ho? Are you detecting some jealously on my part?

Cindy