lilypie

Lilypie

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Twists and Braids for Idiots

See if you can spot the difference.

















Maybe this one is a better illustration.


















My point is, Makeda has hair. I do not. I've never had hair. My mum kept a bow stuck to my head until I was two, just to make sure people knew I was a girl. I grew up on bad perms and a curling iron, switching later to a high volumizing blowdryer.

So, I've been putting off the baby haircare. Sure, I've put in a few colourful elastics and I can fluff her hair into a pretty funky afro, but as Makeda's hair has gotten longer, I've put off the inevitable and let Tessie carry the burden. All the good hair you've seen on this blog is courtesy of nanny Tessie. And, to be fair, I don't have much practice time. Makeda is exclusively mine on Saturdays and Sundays. Weeknights aren't really conducive to sitting in front of Dora, practicing on hair. It's our playtime. And weekends, I can pretty easily think up stuff I'd rather have us do.

But, much like dealing with my math phobia, it got to the point where I realized I had to face the fact that I was parenting an African child, and just deal with it. Gramma "helped" by ordering everything under the sun that I could ever need, from Shuruba. Beaders, beads, stoppers, applicable hair goo, you name it, I got it. So, Sundays have become hairday until I get the hang of this.

Shuruba has some great video clips to teach you the basics. I knew instinctively that this would not be enough. Gramma went back to try and order a DVD. No such luck. I was stuck with the clips. Which are good. If you're normal. But, if you're both hair challenged, and you operate in my world (aka, the idiot zone), there's not enough info.

So, I'm here today to give you pasty white girls the tips that no one else would think to give you, because they are not stupid.

Firstly, buy the Curly Frizz Pudding. It really works so any idiot can smooth out a clump of baby hair and start twisting. Unfortunately, more is not better. When you can no longer operate the beader with your hands, and are resorting to your teeth, because you can't get a grip on the slippery hair, you've gone too far.

Secondly, put the beads on the beader before you start twisting. I believe this was recommended in the video, but it needed to be said more than once. Nothing kills your enthusiasm faster than getting to the end of the perfect twist only to have to use your elbow and teeth to string the beader.

Lastly (and I swear you will not find this tip anywhere else, because no one else on the internet lacks enough dignity to 'fess up) - while I strongly recommend using your teeth to close the bead snaps so you don't lose your grip on your twists, make sure you... you guessed it... get your tongue out of the way first. That hurt people. It really hurt. I've not been in that situation since growing up North and sticking my tongue against a playground post, just to see if it was really true. But at least a pole doesn't move. Try being attached to a moving two year old.

This is the result. Not beautiful, I'll admit, but for me, quite the feat, and therefore worth the kodak moment.









14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - NICE WORK! as a fellow hair-challenged honkey mama, I can relate. I have a ton of hair, but it really only has ever been in one big ponytail, so I have no skills. I have to buy me some clips - but how do you figure out how to make them work?

Joy said...

Looks pretty cute to me!

Robynhood said...

Ok, I think you did an awesome job! When my daughter finally has hair can I show up on your doorstep and you can show me what you know? Sorry for your tongue pain, I have to say it made me smile, but I feel bad about it... question for you... I love the photo of you and Makeda and I am wondering where you got it done? I have been looking for a good (decently priced) photographer in town and cant find one anywhere... any suggestions?

Barbara said...

Robyn I got them done last spring at Bopomo on West Broadway. Skim my April/May posts. I posted all the best shots on one of those entries and the ones with the apples and flowers were absolutely kickass.

Robynhood said...

Thanks Barbara, I have seen other peoples photos from Bopomo too.. they do awesome work. Think I will bite the bullet and book a sitting before little twinkle graduates highschool... one of these days we will have to meet. I have heard great things about you and it would be great to meet another local mom of a sweet little african baby.. :)

Barbara said...

Robyn - email me. You don't have an email link on your blog.

hazel said...

Good work, sistah!!

You must record the next time though, so we have proof it was you. Also to ensure we follow your procedure correctly. I'm scared to death of making a mess of Biset's hair. Racial pressure of the reverse kind!

Ashleigh said...

Barbara,
From one pasty white girl to another, thank you. I've had some hair experience but only white girl hair :) At least mine is curly?
Thanks for the tips, confessions, and dry whit, which never fails to make me chuckle.
I think the hair looks great!
A

Melissa said...

Ohhh, my eyes are watering. Hilarious. And I'll bookmark this page cause your know in a year and a half it'll be me with my tongue in the snap.

gayle et al said...

Very cute and I think you are too modest about your abilities - remember knitting lessons and who knitted about 12 sweaters while I managed one sleeve, a back and 1/2 front. I think you are good with knots and twists!

Alicia said...

Nice work! I have never tried twists... maybe I should they look lovely! Oh and God bless the makers of Dora! hair time would be so much worse without her and that stupid monkey.

QB said...

They're lovely twists on a beautiful girl. Good luck with hairday.

Gina said...

Great job! I haven't tried snaps with my teeth, but I'll take your word on that now! Twists are great, they look good, they're easy to do and they come out quickly. Those are my criteria.

writex3 said...

You speak straight to my heart. Can I please come over and practice with you?? Thanks for the tips & links, esp. the tongue warning!