lilypie

Lilypie

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

We have a diagnosis!!

The cause of the crappy croup has been determined. In fact, there are two separate problems: (1) Myer-Cotton Grade I subglottic stenosis and (2) Laryngcomalacia (a.k.a. floppy voice box). Subglottic stenosis is a narrowing of the airway. Floppy voice box is caused by the cartilage in the larynx being soft. It causes the inlet to narrow, especially if breathing is hard. Either one of these conditions is a factor in recurring croup and my little darling has been blessed with both. For now, we're not doing anything, the hope being that she will grow out of both conditions. But, as of early Fall, she'll be back on a puffer for the duration of cold and flu season, just to try and create a base so that we can hopefully avoid the great 2010 emergency room camp-outs. She put on quite a performance in post-op yesterday. For a mild-mannered little girl she was bringing the house down. At least we know her lungs are clear. While I empathized with her unhappiness, I have to confess to a certain satisfaction over her tantrums. They couldn't wait to get her out of there, and as a result, we got out a couple of hours earlier than if she'd been her typical well-behaved self.

Afrikadeys was great fun. We met lots of new Cowtown adoption peeps and Makeda was rocking out to the music with great abandon. I love this girls' confidence. Here she is wearing Biset's pail on her head. I did not put it there. This is her very own fashion statement. Haze got video as well, and if it turns out, I'll post that later. It was quite hilarious to see her running around the field wearing a bucket on top of her sunhat.

8 comments:

Tami said...

LOL...Diva in the making! I'm glad she will grow out of her little issue and continue to keep you on your toes no matter what!

Suzanne said...

Yikes, what a bunch of stuff going on in Makeda's wind pipe! Keeping fingers crossed that she does grow out of both. Having lived much of my life with a puffer in my pocket, I know what a drag not enough oxygen can be. Also, having spent one entire summer of my early childhood with a bucket on my head, I should probably warn you of a charming condition called "cradle cap" ;-)

Anonymous said...

I also vote for the growing-out-of-it program. But what a relief to finally have a diagnosis... poor you for having a croupy kiddo. that is just about the worst thing ever.

Glad to see her airway issues are not affecting her social skill development. Or fashion sense. :-)

hazel said...

I'm so glad today went well and that Makeda doesn't need any nasty surgery. I am rather shocked at her tantrum. I guess she's like The Hulk when it comes to displaying her displeasure.

In addition to video I have more pictures for you.

Alicia said...

I'm glad that a cause has been diagnosed. It always makes me feel better to know a diagnosis. Hopefully she'll grow out of both conditions and this nasty croup will be behind you.

writex3 said...

I can't wait to see pictures of Makeda and Biset together...soon!

marelise said...

Great news that all went well with the scope. Knowing is half the battle!!
Loved meeting miss Makeda on Saturday.She is a cuter than cute! I was really torn between just chucking the camping trip and hanging out in the sun with the Afrikadey crowd.

Gina said...

Glad to hear you have a diagnosis (or two). My bet is that she'll grow out of them. And getting ready to ward off season 2 is a great idea. We hope to visit you guys at the end of the month. I'll give you a heads up!