lilypie

Lilypie

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Scam Alert

Hi everyone, just wanted to bring to your attention a scam that I fell for, so that you don't fall for it. I received this email a few weeks ago that my nephew had won this drumming contest put on by Hedley (great Canadian rock band) and that I should head out to Surrey on Saturday to meet up with the rest of my family, and we would all be allowed in the sound room to listen to them rehearse and watch a short charity concert where my nephew would be drumming with them. This seemed a VERY big deal, so I dropped my plans, packed up Miss Makeda in the truck, and headed out. This is her, practicing her hand clapping in the car seat, decked out in her hip hop gear.



So, we arrive, very punctually so as not to miss the limo departure. And... it was a SCAM!!! There was no contest, no prize winning nephew, and NO HEDLEY! It was a surprise party. For some unmentionable birthday that is occurring in the fairly near future. Did I mention that I had done my hair? Put on eye shadow? Worn proper black concert attire? I was ready (and presentable) to rock out with some 25 year old boys. And what did I get for my efforts? Their latest CD.

Anyway, I was whisked away to the spa, followed by a family dinner. This is the finished product.


Then we went out for Greek food in White Rock. We're not much for pictures and none of us is a very good photographer, so this is all the evidence I have that there was a party. This is me and my mom.


Anyway, I had a great day. But DON'T BE FOOLED. DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!!

9 comments:

Tami said...

I hate those scams and they come at you very often, you have to be more careful! Happy Upcoming Birthday! It looks like Makeda had a great time. Love the toes!

los cazadores said...

I wish that scame would friggin happen to my toes, man. I always have to paint them myself! Happy Birthday!

Cindy

Dianne said...

Happy Birthday!

What an awesome scam!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! What a great family to scam you like that. Glad that you had a good time (and Happy Birthday too).

Anonymous said...

Hippo Birdies, Babs!

hazel said...

Ha! I thought you were going to tell us you went to meet a potential baby daddy from Nigeria - and give him some money.

This story is SO MUCH BETTER!

(It looks like Makeda was in on the surprise - I don't trust that smile. I'm glad her biker outfit still fits)

Anonymous said...

Love that Miss M is giving you a 'thumbs up'. Way to go to your family for successfully pulling the wool over your eyes! (though I am disappointed that your nephew did not, in fact, win a contest to play with Hedley)luvauntiemare.

Tasha Kent said...

What a great scam!!

You know, if you really want to see Hedley, I can make it possible. Just send a check written out to my name (leave everything else blank and sign it) and send it to me. This is for bank verification purposes only! Once I have received verification that you are indeed the owner of the bank account, I'll send you 4 free tickets to Hedley!

hazel said...

How generous!!

Barbara, I'm not a huge Hedley fan, but I'll go with you - 'free' tickets are free tickets.