lilypie

Lilypie

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Just Call Me Dora...

OK, ever since yesterday's vote, I can't get that stupid Dora Explorer song out of my head. Don't play dumb - you all know it. We DID it! Yah! We DID it! We took those stupid naysayers and kicked them in the balls, we DID it! Yah! We DID it! We stuck together, all for one and one for all. We DID it! Yah! We DID it!

Well, maybe Dora doesn't say balls but you get the point. Anyway, 248 yes votes and 20 no votes so, an overwhelming desire to get things back up and running. There has been a small but vocal group of IA parents who seemed to want the effort to fail, and I think parents were uncertain how big this group actually was. Judging by the small handful of no votes that came from parents who had files already in Ethiopia (3), it seems the vast majority of us are willing to make a go of this. Next steps are to get new retainer agreements signed and get everyone's $2,000 in. The money will be critical, as the $200,000 that BDO Dunwoody is releasing to us immediately will be enough to keep operations going for awhile, but won't be enough to cover the outstanding orphanage fees, which have to caught up asap, or the whole thing will fail. So, the next few weeks will be a bit tough I think, waiting to make sure that those who voted to continue are willing to back up their vote with their money. Roughly speaking we probably need at least 200 of those 248 yes votes to send their cheques in, in order to have a reasonable chance of success, but I think most of us are hopeful that the vast majority of these 248 families will take that next step.

So, keep your fingers crossed and SEND YOUR CHEQUES IN!

And remember... We DID it! Yay! We DID it!

11 comments:

sas said...

Congratulations Dora... um, I mean Barbara! I am so thrilled for all the families involved. Yeah teamwork!

Sas

Dianne said...

Almost as bad as "I know a song that'll get on your nerves, I know a song that'll get on your nerves, I know a song...."

Seriously though? So happy for you and all the other waiting families. What GREAT news.

hazel said...

I'm not familiar with the Dora song yet, but I think I already prefer your version of it.

june said...

If Dora said 'balls' I would totally watch.

Congrats!! I had no doubts it would pass... but easy for me to say, I know. Good luck in the next critical few months!

Ashleigh said...

Thank you again.
Thank goodness I don't (yet) know any of Dora's antics. I do my best to steer clear of Diego and the like...so far so good.
Here's to gettin' that $$ in the right hands QUICK.

paige said...

Huzzah!

Gina said...

Congratulations! We know Dora very well in this household and "we did it" is a common refrain. So sing it loud, girl! You did it! Keep that momentum going over the next few months!

Anonymous said...

yay yay yay! congratulations - that is a big win.

crossing fingers and toes that folks send their $$$$ in pronto.

Melissa said...

Waiting with baited breath and a cheque for them to ask me to send it. Can't wait to get the ball rolling again. And now I'm singing Dora in my head. Thanks for that.

Gayle et al said...

Wonderful News - fingers crossed that everything keeps progressing as per the plan.

marelise said...

Dora is an improvement on my song.

We learn it in Gymtastics and basically it is an incredibly catchy but irritating tune with one fish after another swimming in the water being eaten by another fish.

So you start... litle fish little fish swimming in the water.. times three...then gets eaten by octupus... so the song continues.. octopus, octopus swimming in the water.. and so on and so on through the ranks of Tuna fish, great white sharks and a really big monster fish in the leagues of pinnochio and Jona that then comes and eats up the name badges at the end of the class.

How is this educational for kids?

By the way.. GOOD JOB.